Mould in indoor environments
Mould, yeasts and bacteria exist ubiquitously in our environment and are a major influence on the biological material cycle. They decompose organic residuals and spread the resulting substances to plants and animals.
Changes in living conditions over the past decades have resulted in humidity problems leading to a significant increase in microbial load. House insulation measures being undertaken according to Thermal Insulation Regulations, misinterpreted energy saving attitudes and increased sanitary demands have led to an increase in humidity that cannot dissipate appropriately thereby facilitating the development of mould-related building damage.
Due to their allergenic and toxic properties, spores, hyphal fragments and mycotoxins can cause health problems. The extent of the health risk is contingent upon the extent of damage and spatial users individual susceptibility. This especially applies to the development of allergies. Epidemiological studies show that moisture damage in indoor rooms increases the risk of asthma, asthma symptoms and other respiratory diseases. For people with weakened immune systems, the inhalation of certain moulds can cause an infestation of inner organs. Therefore, in terms of preventive health protection, ambient air contamination that significantly surmounts the unavoidable exposure of ambient air, is to be avoided (depending on the season, the concentration of mould spores can amount to < 100 cfu/m3 (winter months) resp. > 1.000 cfu/m3 (summer months).